Prof. Rebecca Earley
Becky is a designer and researcher whose printed textiles have been widely published and exhibited over the last twenty years. She has been a lead researcher at Textiles Environment Design (TED) since 2000 and Director of the Textile Futures Research Centre (TFRC) since 2010. She researches sustainable design strategy; curates exhibitions; creates materials, models and prototypes; and mentors other designers and researchers to explore TED’s vision of a more sustainable industry and culture. Becky works with organisations to embed sustainable design research within the corporate culture. Recent clients include H&M, VF Corporation, Puma, DAFI, Sustainable Fashion Academy and Zero Waste Scotland.
Becky’s practice is concerned with researching the role of the designer in creating institutional and cultural change towards more sustainable and circular, closed-loop practices. Becky co-developed TED’s The TEN - sustainable strategies which educate and inspire users to make more informed and innovative decisions. Becky uses design-led methods in workshop scenarios to systematically reconsider the design process and generate new systemic visions; as well as practice-based methods to test the visions in social and commercial contexts. Recent research roles include: the Swedish funded MISTRA Future Fashion project; the EU funded H2020 Trash to Cash project; and the FIRE Up and Worn Again projects (AHRC).
Current Research Projects
- MISTRA Future Fashion, phase 2 (2015 - 2019) mistrafuturefashion.com
- Trash 2 Cash, EU H2020 (2015 - 2018) trash2cashproject.eu
- Cultures of Resilience (CoR), UAL (2014 - 2016) www.culturesofresilience.org/wordpress/
- Top 100 (1999-) http://www.upcyclingtextiles.net
Sustainable Design, Textiles & Fashion, Cyclability, Circular Economy, Design Facilitation, Leadership
Most Recent Published Work
Exhibition Curation & Artefacts
- Earley, R., & Goldsworthy, K. (2014-2015) Textile Toolbox, online showcase for Mistra Future Fashion. Touring exhibition: London, Glasgow, Copenhagen, New York, Borås, Uppsala, Falmouth
- Earley, R., & Dodd, I. (2014) Shanghai Shirt, Textile Toolbox exhibition tour; Green showcase, Whitworth Museum, Manchester; Textile Toolbox exhibition tour.
- Earley, R., (2014) ReDress Shirt. Milan Furniture Fair; Textile Toolbox exhibition tour.
- Earley, R., (2013) Fractal Shirt / Shirt Film. 10th European Academy of Design Conference - Crafting the future. 17–19 April, Gothenburg: University of Gothenburg.
- Earley, R. et al (2015) The Textile Toolbox: New Design Thinking, Materials and Processes for Sustainable Textiles in a Fashion Context: MISTRA End of Award Report, Sweden.
- Earley, R., & Goldsworthy, K. (2015) Designing for Fast and Slow Circular Fashion Systems, NTU, PLATE Conference. 17-19 June.
- Earley, R., & Vuletich, C. (2015) Holistic Fashion Design, in Fashion Design for the Curious: Why Study Fashion, by Kishor Vaidya, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Canberra, Canberra, Australia.
- Earley, R., & Harvey, B. (2015) Elastic Learning Tools, in Cultures of Resilience (CoR), Ezio Manzini and Jeremy Till. Hato Press; London.
- Earley, R. & Ballie, J. (2014) Black Hack Chat, in In the Making: The Power to the People Workshop Track at Crafting the Future (von Busch), The Design Journal. Volume 17; Issue 3.
- Earley, R & Politowicz, K. (2013) The TEN: A Tool for Narrative Prototypes. In: Wilson, M. & van Ruiten, S. Handbook for Artistic Research Education. Amsterdam, Dublin, Gothenburg: DIT/GradCAM and ELIA.
Conferences, Talks & Presentaions
- Earley, R. et al (2015) A New ‘T’ for Textiles: Training design researchers to Inspire Buying Office Staff Towards Sustainability at Hennes and Mauritz (H&M), The Value of Design Research, EAD11, Paris Descartes University - Paris College of Art – ISTEC Paris, Paris & Boulogne sur Seine France, April 17-19.
- Earley, R. (2014) The “i” In The Textile Team, invited keynote at Transition, University of Huddersfield, 26-27 November.
- Andersen, K.R., & Earley, R. (2014) Design Thinking for Sustainability: A Case Study of a Research Project between Hennes & Mauritz and Textiles Environment Design, at 20th Annual International Sustainable Development Research Conference, Trondheim, Norway: Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Earley, R & Politowicz, K. (2013) We Shape Our Tools, Then They Tools Shape Us. Research Through Design, Newcastle: University of Northumbria
- Earley R. (2012), Barriers & Opportunities, MISTRA Future Fashion Symposium, Copenhagen Business School
- Earley R. (2012), TED's TEN, PUMA Sustainable Design Collective, PUMA, London
- Earley R. (2011), TED's TEN: Design Strategies for Sustainable Fashion & Textiles, Avancell Conference, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden
- Earley R. and Politowicz K (2011), TED's TEN, President's Summit, VF Corporation, MIT Media Lab, USA
- Earley R. (2011), Upcycling Textiles, Digital Technology for Textiles, Metropolitan Works
- Earley R. (2011), Upcycling Textiles: Adding Value Through Design, Towards Sustainability in the Fashion Industry Conference, KEA/Centre for Sustainable Fashion, Copenhagen
- Earley R. (2011), TED, TFRC and Me, Achieving Better Social & Environmental Performance Through Design, Sustainable Fashion Academy, Stockholm (Seminar Workshop)
- Earley R. (2010), B.Earley: Sustainable Design Stories, Untangle Sustainability, Future Factory, Nottingham
- Earley R. (2010), Upcycling Textiles: Adding Value Through Design, Gucci Group presentation, Textile Futures Research Centre (TFRC), London
- Earley R. (2010), B.Earley: Sustainable Design Stories, Fashion & Textiles Course, Shenkar College, Tel Aviv
- Earley R. (2010), What’s My Textile Footprint? , Craft Rally, Crafts Council , Millenium Gallery, Sheffield
- Earley R. (2010), Keynote Address, Top 100: Upclose and Personal 1999-2009, Slow Textiles Conference, Stroud International Textile Festival
- Earley R. (2010), TED: Making Theory Into Textiles, Craft Rally, Crafts Council , Chelsea College of Art & Design, London
- Earley R. and Politowicz K (2010), Interconnected Design Thinking, Green Lab, Weissensee Kunsthochschule, Berlin
Industry Keynotes & Advisory Roles
- 2015 FIT Summer Institute: Sustainability in Fashion and Textiles: Reinvention and Innovation.
- 2015 Global Change Award judge, Conscious Foundation, H&M, Sweden.
- 2015 The Forest on the Catwalk. SP seminar at Borås Textile Fashion Centre, Borås, Sweden.
- 2015 Beyond Trends in Sustainability, Textile Institute London & South East England Section and the SDC.
- 2014 Competition Judge, Esthetica, London Fashion Week.
- 2014 Textile Toolbox: House of Lords, All Parliamentary Working Group for Design and Innovation (APDIG)
- 2014 The Redress Forum, Hong Kong.
- 2013 H&M Head Office, Stockholm.
- 2013 Advisory Board Member, Fashion Revolution Day, London.
Websites: www.beckyearley.com www.upcyclingtextiles.net