Dr. Kate Goldsworthy
Kate is currently Reader in Circular Textile Design at Textiles Environment Design (TED) and has been based with the University’s Textile Futures Research Centre (TFRC) since 2008. With over 15 years of experience as a textile designer and researcher, her core interests are sustainability, design for cyclability, new finishing and production technologies and material innovation. Her approach is practice-based, always placing making and tacit knowledge at the centre of her action-research, and collaborative, often across disciplines in both industry and scientific fields. She regularly contributes to international publications and conferences and her design work has been exhibited widely, including the Science Museum, the ICA and Crafts Council, (London), the Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design (USA) and the Audax Textile Museum (Tilburg).
Kate’s practice is concerned with developing design strategies for reducing textile waste and environmental impacts in a circular economy. Her practice-based PhD entitled ‘Laser finishing: a new process for designing recyclability in synthetic textiles’ (2012), re-imagined the way we could manufacture textiles with a focus on ‘design for cyclability', enabling continuous cycles of future recycling. As Theme Leader in the second phase of ‘Mistra Future Fashion’ (2015-2019) and Lead Researcher in the EU funded ‘Trash-2-Cash’ (2015-2018), Kate will continue to explore the potential of design to find solutions towards a more circular fashion and materials economy, bringing together designers and scientists through both Swedish and European research consortiums.
Current Research Projects
- Mistra Future Fashion Phase 2 (2015 - 2019) mistrafuturefashion.com
- Trash 2 Cash, EU H2020 (2015 - 2018) trash2cashproject.eu
Sustainable Design, Textiles & Fashion, Cyclability, Circular Economy, Materials, Technology
Most Recent Published Work
Exhibition Curation & Artefacts
- Earley, R. & Goldsworthy, K., (2014-2015) Textile Toolbox, [Curation] online showcase for Mistra Future Fashion. Touring exhibition: London, Glasgow, Copenhagen, New York, Borås, Uppsala, Falmouth.
- Goldsworthy, K., & Politowicz, K. (2014) A.S.A.P. [Paper Cloth], Textile Toolbox exhibition tour.
- Goldsworthy, K. (2014) Seamsdress, Textile Toolbox exhibition tour.
- Goldsworthy, K. (2014) Zero Waste Dress, FireUP Showcase, London.
- Goldsworthy, K. (2012) Laser Line, CETI, Lille, Touring to Cite des Sciences: Paris (2013)
Publications & Conferences
- Earley, R. et al (2015) The Textile Toolbox: New Design Thinking, Materials and Processes for Sustainable Textiles in a Fashion Context: MISTRA End of Award Report, Sweden.
- Earley, R., & Goldsworthy, K. (2015) Designing for Fast and Slow Circular Fashion Systems, Conference Proceedings, PLATE, NTU, 17-19th June.
- Goldsworthy, K. & Paine, H., (2014) Laser Welding Textiles: a creative approach to technology through a reflective craft practice, in K. Bunnell & J. Marshall (Eds.), All Makers Now: Craft Values in 21st Century Production, Conference Proceedings, Falmouth University, 10-11th July.
- Goldsworthy, K., (2014) Design for Cyclability: pro-active approaches for maximising material recovery, Making Futures, Conference Proceedings, Plymouth College of Art, 26–27th September.
- Goldsworthy, K., (2014) The case for transforming the approach to waste and growing a circular economy; a design perspective, written evidence submitted to the UK Parliamentary Commission on 'Growing a Circular Economy', Environmental Audit Committee, 12th May.
- Goldsworthy, K., (2015) Designing for a Circular Fashion Economy: technology, collaboration and creativity, invited keynote at Fashion & Textiles Institute (FTI) Research Lecture Series 2014-15, Falmouth University, Falmouth, 27 April 2015.
- Goldsworthy, K., (2015) Designing for a Circular Fashion Economy; technology, collaboration and creativity, invited keynote at Cycle Faconner Lecture Series, Forging the Future. Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Decoratifs (ENSAD), Paris, 30 March 2015.
- Goldsworthy, K., & Paine, H., (2014) Laser Welding Textiles: a creative approach to technology through a reflective craft practice’, presented at ‘All Makers Now: Craft Values in 21st Century Production’, Falmouth University, 10-11 July 2014
- Goldsworthy, K., (2014) Design for Cyclability: pro-active approaches for maximising material recovery’, presented at ‘Making Futures’ conference, Plymouth College of Art, 26-27 September.
- 2015, Keynote, Track and Trace Technologies for Textiles: the importance of material intelligence for circular design, RSA & The Great Recovery, London.
- 2015, Keynote, Towards a Circular Textile Industry, Circle Economy Institute, Resource Event, London.
- 2015 Judge, ITMA Future-Materials Awards, Frankfurt.
- 2014, Facilitator, Circular Design Challenge. FACT Group (Ellen MacArthur Foundation CE100 Sub Group), Copenhagen.
- 2014, Advisor, development of closed-loop pilot projects, Circle Economy Institute, Netherlands.
- 2014, Advisor, development of ‘Higg Design & Development Tool’ for Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC), USA.
- 2014, Expert Witness, UK Parliamentary Commission on Growing a Circular Economy: Environmental Audit Committee, Mar.
- 2010-current, Board Member & Advisor, Worn Again Ltd, London.